Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Life Lessons: Turn, Turn, Turn

2012 has proven to be a major roller coaster ride for me, but I feel that the dust is finally settling. I've learned to allow things I can't control to just be, and look forward into the future with excitement instead of paralyzing fear. 

I know life is changing, I'm changing and my relationships are changing. I know I've had to think about  really important things this last half of the year that will contribute to a lot of my big decision making next year. Yes, I'm still scared, but I think my excitement and resigning to the fact that life was, is and will continue to be filled with decisions and changes overrides any fear I still have in me. 

I've survived everything I've been through the past 33 years, and I figured, if nothing has killed me or permanently damaged me yet, then I can probably handle anything else that comes my way. This year, I realized that there is nothing wrong with the many contradictions in life. I'm stronger than I thought I was, yet more vulnerable than I ever realized I could be. I can be both the calm before AND the storm. I'm not better than anyone else, yet I can strive to be a better version of myself each day I am alive. 

The song Turn, turn, turn by The Byrds has been running through my head lately and more than ever, I feel it rings true. 

"To Everything (Turn, Turn, Turn)
There is a season (Turn, Turn, Turn)
And a time to every purpose, under Heaven

A time of love, a time of hate
A time of war, a time of peace
A time you may embrace, a time to refrain from embracing"

Life isn't static. There is a time and place for everything. Two things this taught me: Patience. Understanding. Life isn't always going to be perfect, and yet it's perfect because it's always a surprise!

MERRY CHRISTMAS, EVERYONE! Hope you are spending it with the people most important to you!



No comments: