Friday, October 19, 2012

Life Lessons: One day at a time

One day at a time.

When I find myself right smack in the middle of a rough patch in my life, I allow myself to cry and wallow and be miserable for awhile, but eventually, I know that I need to pick myself up and figure out my next step. It's inevitable that we will find ourselves in a shitty place at certain points in our lives but it's no excuse to be angry and hate the world forever.

For some reason, a lot of the people I love are going through their own rough patches now too, and on one hand, I'm sure it's good for all of us to know that we aren't alone, but on the other, it's hard for me to see them all pained in their own ways. I've always been the go-to therapist of many of my friends, maybe because of my experience going to therapy myself and my straight to the point and very real answers and questions. I don't see the point in sugar coating situations, but that's not to say that there is no compassion when I speak to them.

Every situation is different, but at the end, it all boils down to LOVE. Everyone just wants to be BE LOVED and be given the opportunity to love. This one is for you ladies. I love you.


It's never easy to forgive a love crime/never easy to wash off all the hurt and grime/but baby girl, know that i got you/give him a piece of my mind if you ask me to/flicked you off like you're nothing/he ain't got a clue/ didn't think you were worth it enough to pursue/let me tell you now you're lucky that he bid adieu/ coz you deserve nothing but the best/ King status, nothing less/you need a real man/fuck the rest/ a test it might seem/to figure out the truth from pipe dreams/ you've been hurt/go on and cry/you need to blow of steam/i'll hold your hand through it all/i'm on your team/

yes, even when you're the bad guy/ no judgement, no questions, you've got enough/I know you ask why/you can love a man when you got a man/too weak to break away/despite the battle plan/ no one else could seem to keep your attention span/couldn't let go no matter how far you ran/tell yourself you can/but the distance doesn't matter/heart's persistent chatter/when he's around/you're sure the world can hear the pitter patter/I could tell you that it's wrong/i could insist that you stay strong/i could tell you shit will hit the fan/and it won't be long/before you find yourself in tears/hurting him and him/manifesting all your fears/but for now i'll let you be/love may be blind but i know you can see/that dreams and reality don't always agree

If you are feeling neglected/taken for granted /or if you've been rejected, left hanging/if you feel like someone's messing with your heart, /someone stopped calling before it could even start, /if he walked away, if you feel forced to stay /if you're not supposed to love him but can't keep your feelings at bay/just take it one day/at a time/even if that mountain seems impossible to climb/one day/at a time/one day at a time/one day you'll wake up/and life will be sublime


with all the love in the world,

E


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for writing this. You don't know how it touched my heart. Like your other lady friends, I'm in a low point right now. It's draining me. It feels like everything's falling apart. I know there will be better days but I always find myself in this kind of situation for the last 2 years. It sucked out the life in me. What would you tell your 22 yr old self if she's brokenhearted?

Erica Paredes said...

I would tell her that her 33 year old self turned out ok. Better, stronger, more resilient and with a much larger capacity for love. You'll be ok. One day at a time <3

DeeLivesLovely said...

and I, you. Aycs. I wish I could be there to hug you and drown this shit in mango juice and gin and remind you to -
Love yourself first.